ES Resource Specialist
RIS seeks a Resource Specialist who will work in the Elementary School alongside classroom
teachers to support students who have been identified as having learning disabilities. Through
modified curricula, he/she will provide special education students with appropriate learning
activities and experiences designed to fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical
and social growth.
Applicants must have experience working in a collaborative model with teachers in order to meet
the educational needs of students from diverse ethnic backgrounds.
• A master’s degree in Special Needs Education preferred
• Valid teaching certificate, with required special education endorsement for assignments
• At least two years of teaching experience in Special Education in a K-12 school,
international school experience preferred.
Full Job Description
Job Title: ES Resource Specialist
Reports to: ES Principal and Director of Pupil Services
The aim of ES Resource Specialist is to provide access to the curriculum for students with
special educational needs in mainstream classes and to implement specific learning
objectives. The teachers and the special needs teams at RIS work together to provide the
learning support that the students need.
A combination of in- class support and “pull-outfor both individual and small group work,
is provided by the Resource Specialist. The progress of students receiving support is
monitored and recorded, with consultation and feedback to parents being seen as a vital
and integral part of Special Needs support.
• Develop an understanding of the specific special needs of the student.
• Establish a supportive relationship with the student.
• Encourage independency in the student.
• Assist the student’s teacher with the modification and differentiation of work.
• Assist the student in all curriculum tasks.
• Work with the student on an individual program.
Liaison and evaluation: