Faculty Position in
Applications are invited for the position of Assistant / Associate Professor in Regional and Rural Development Planning (RRDP) Program at the Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), Pathumthani, Thailand. AIT is an international, non-profit post-graduate institution, promoting technological change and sustainable development in the Asia-Pacific region through higher learning focusing on critical global issues through research, outreach, and capacity development. Established in 1959, AIT became a leading regional institution actively working with public and private sector partners throughout the region and with some of the top universities in the world. The institute offers Master’s and Doctoral degrees, diploma and certificate programs in engineering, science, planning and management, and serves over 2,300 students from Asia and beyond. Its teaching faculty, researchers and students composed of more than 40 different nationalities and ethnic backgrounds forms a unique international community in the institute’s residential campus situated 42 kilometers north of Bangkok.
RRDP is an academic program run by School of Environment, Resources and Development (SERD) (please visit SERD website at http://www.serd.ait.ac.th/wpserd/). RRDP program seeks to develop professionals for contributing in the area of rural and regional development, managing development projects and policies for the poor and the disadvantaged.
The successful candidate is expected to
- Teach at graduate level classes (Master and Doctoral)
- Engage in thesis research supervision of Master’s and Doctoral students
- Develop research papers leading to publications in professional journals
- Take initiatives in bringing sponsored research projects
- Develop and conduct RRDP related short courses, workshops and customized training programs
- Develop cooperative links with other study areas for maintaining the competitive edge of RRDP in the region
- Carry out consultancy and outreach activities
- Assist in conducting of training / workshop and other human resource development activities supported by AIT or international / national agencies, and
- Perform academic duties assigned by the School / Institute.
- The applicant should have education (Master and PhD) from reputed universities in rural and regional development or related fields.
- S/he should be able to teach three to four courses such as Agricultural Development Planning, Sustainable development Planning, Project Planning and Management and Applied Statistics for Planning and any other courses related to his / her specialization in line with RRDP requirements.
- Should possess relevant experience and competence in teaching and student supervision at graduate level with excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Ability to publish in international refereed journals, excellent communication skills and experience in obtaining research grants in international competition are highly desirable.
- Previous exposure to the problems and prospects in the Asian Region in addition to well-established links with donors and research partners will be an added advantage.
The appointment will be at the rank of an Assistant / Associate Professor depending on the qualifications. The initial appointment is normally for two years and is renewable based on performance. The salary offered to the successful candidate is regionally competitive, commensurate with qualifications and experience. Additional benefits include provident fund, air travel for self and direct dependents, and grant for settlement, education subsidy for dependent children, and medical benefit as per Institute’s policy and procedure. It is also possible to earn an additional income by carrying out sponsored research projects and consulting services.
The application deadline is 31 May 2015. Review of applications will begin immediately after the deadline and will continue until the position is filled. The selected candidate is expected to join the institute before the end of 2015. Please send in a (1) letter of application, including detailed (2) curriculum vitae, (3) copies of three recent publications, (4) one-page professional statement describing goals and aspirations, and (5) names and addresses of three referees to the following address:
School of Environment, Resources and Development
Asian Institute of Technology
P.O. Box 4, Klong Luang, Pathumthani 12120, Thailand
copy to: firstname.lastname@example.org