The Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), an autonomous, non-profit, international post graduate institution, promotes technological change and sustainable development in the Asian-Pacific region through higher education, research and outreach. Established in 1959, AIT has become a leading regional postgraduate institution and is actively working with public and private sector partners throughout the region and with some of the top universities in the world. It offers Master’s and Doctoral degrees, diploma and certificate programs in engineering, science, planning and management, and serves over 2,300 students from more than fifty countries/territories across Asia and beyond. Teaching faculty, researchers and students from more than 30 countries form a unique international community on the Institute’s residential campus, situated 42 km north of Bangkok.
Natural Resources Management Field of Study (FoS) of the School of Environment, Resources and Development (SERD) seeks to develop professionals who can contribute to the conservation and sustainable management of terrestrial and coastal resources and ecosystems through teaching, research and outreach activities. Applications are invited for a direct-hire faculty position at an Assistant/Associate Professor level in the Natural Resources Management Field of Study at the School of Environment, Resources and Development of the Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), Bangkok, Thailand specializing in one or more of the following areas:
- Eco-political aspects of natural resources management
- Natural Resources Planning and Policy
- Society and Natural Resources
Duties and Responsibilities:
The successful candidate is expected to:
- Teach postgraduate level courses on 1) Integrated natural resources planning and policy, 2) Society and natural resources, and 3) Integrated land use systems.
- Develop new relevant courses for MSc/PhD level and short courses for training programs
- Supervise Master’s and Doctoral students
- Develop professional networks and take initiatives in brining and undertaking sponsored research projects
- Carry out outreach / consulting activities
- Assist in the conduct of training/workshop and other human resource development activities supported by AIT or international or national agencies, and
- Perform academic duties assigned by the School / Institute.
The successful candidate must have the following general qualifications.
- Hold a PhD or Doctoral degree from a reputable university with specialization in one or more areas.
- Possess demonstrated relevant experience and competence in teaching and student supervision at graduate level with excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Preferably have a strong commitment to teaching and research, with the aptitude to establish and maintain a dynamic research program in major natural resource management areas/issues.
- Previous exposure to the problems and prospects in the Asian Region and a well-established linkage with donors and research partners will be an added advantage.
The appointment will be at the rank of an Assistant or Associate Professor depending on qualifications and experience. The initial appointment is normally for two years and is renewable based on performance. The salary offered to successful candidate is regionally competitive, commensurate with qualifications and experience. Additional benefits include provident fund, air travel, settlement grant, education subsidy for dependent children, and medical benefit per Institute’s policy and procedure.
The application deadline is July 31, 2015. Review of applications will begin immediately after the deadline and will continue until the position is filled. The selected candidate is expected to join the institute by 1 January 2016. Please send in a (1) letter of application, (2) detailed curriculum vitae, (3) copies of three to five selected publications, (4) a one-page professional statement describing goals and aspirations, and (5) names and addresses of three referees to the following address:
School of Environment, Resources and Development
Asian Institute of Technology
P.O. Box 4, Klong Luang, Pathumthani 12120, Thailand