(Required for August 2016)
The deadline for applications for this position is 1 November 2015. Please send a CV and a letter of application to the Head of HR at email@example.com.
NIST is looking for an effective and collaborative educator to lead our Elementary School and the Elementary Leadership Team from August 2016. As part of the NIST team, the Head of Elementary reports to the Head of School, leading half of the educational programme of the school (from Early Years to Year 6). The Head of Elementary is part of the NIST Leadership Team and heads the Elementary Leadership Team.
This position has available because Brett Penny, the current Head of Elementary, will be moving into the Head of School position from August 2016. We are seeking a dynamic candidate whose philosophy is aligned to ourleadership principles, and mission, vision and values. The individual should also have a good understanding of the IB and NIST curriculum.
The Head of Elementary has direct responsibility for all matters relating to the educational programme for Early Years to Year 6 (ages 3-11). The Head of Elementary also works with the Head of Secondary and Head of Learning to ensure continuity and consistency in the educational programme throughout the whole school. Where appropriate, the Head of Elementary liaises with the Head of Operations to ensure that the work of the business departments fully supports that of the Elementary School.
Role & Responsibilities
Curriculum & Assessment
- Develops and implements an appropriate educational curriculum in line with the school’s mission, vision and values.
- Assists the Head of Learning in the construction and implementation of a whole school curriculum strategic review plan.
- Initiates, publishes and updates curriculum and assessment guides which summarize the educational programme for teaching staff and the parent community.
- Ensures the effective delivery of the curriculum.
- Maintains an awareness of current curriculum developments.
- Develops and reviews assessment and reporting procedures and monitors the issue of semester reports.
- Liaises with the Head of Admissions and Head of School about student enrolment, placement and withdrawal from the school.
- Manages new student orientations.
- Ensures that appropriate documentation is provided for leaving students.
- Arranges appropriate meetings and assemblies of the student body as well as parent-teacher and student-led conferences.
- Ensures enforcement of policies and regulations related to student attendance, welfare and conduct.
- Ensures that due attention is paid to student rights and responsibilities.
- Ensures that clear student expectations and guidelines are published.
- Liaises with the school transport operators and NIST Catering to ensure that appropriate student behavior is enforced.
- Establishes guidelines for student activities and field trips.
- Works through the NIST Leadership Team and Business Management Team to ensure that the safety and wellbeing of elementary students are safeguarded.
- Directly oversees the work of the Deputy Heads of Elementary.
- Directly oversees the work of the elementary school office staff
- Oversees the work of year level and subject coordinators.
- Implements the school’s agreed approach to appraisal for all elementary teachers, academic assistants and office staff.
- Provides information to the Head of School as requested when contract renewal for elementary teachers, academic assistants and office staff is being considered.
- Assists the Head of School in recruiting of local and overseas teaching staff and academic assistants.
- Ensures that elementary school teachers receive appropriate support in the performance of their duties.
- Encourages elementary school staff take to full advantage of the professional development opportunities available.
- Where appropriate, conducts internal in-service sessions or arranges for the involvement of qualified presenters.
- Sets own personal and professional goals, reviews these with the Head of School and monitors progress towards them.
- Coordinates and implements appropriate orientation and information sessions for the students, parents, staff and members of the wider community.
- Liaises with parents and NIPTA (NIST Parent-Teacher Association) to ensure sound relationships are developed, and facilitates appropriate contact between staff and parents.
- Ensures regular written communication to parents is developed by elementary school staff.
- Conducts regular larger-scale meetings with parents such as information evenings, open house and coffee mornings.
- Meets with elementary school parents who have specific interests or concerns.
- Is responsible for the submission of articles for NIST News and other NIST publications.
- Ensures that the elementary school is promoted through appropriate articles in external publications.
- Liaises with other international schools in order to enhance both the school’s development and its profile.
- Meets regularly with the Head of Secondary and Head of Learning to ensure a whole-school focus.
- Channels suggestions to the Head of School for curricular and institutional development.
- Regularly briefs the Head of School on all matters of significance pertaining to the Elementary School.
- Holds regular meetings of teachers and academic assistants to deal with matters of interest and significance relating to the work of the Elementary School.
- Works with the school director in the construction of the whole-school calendar.
- Ensures on an ongoing basis that dates for all activities specifically involving the Elementary School are entered into the calendar.
- Provides the school timetable coordinator with all elementary school information necessary for the construction of the school timetable.
- Oversees the maintenances of all student file, records and class lists on the school’s database.
- Assists in the development of a master plan for development of the Elementary School in line with the school’s strategic initiatives.
- Oversees the planning and running of the completion ceremony and other special events.
- Is kept informed by the Head of School and the Head of Operations on all aspects of financial management of the educational programme for the Elementary School.
- Assists the Head of School and Head of Operations in the preparation and management of the elementary school budget.
- Is kept informed by the Head of School and Head of Operations about the supply of educational materials for the Elementary School.
Teaching & Other Duties
- Performs teaching duties as required
- Attends all meetings as required by the Head of School and develops reports where required.
- Performs other duties appropriate to the role as assigned by the Head of School.