(Required for January 2016)
NIST is looking for a connected and effective learning support teacher to join our team to support learning in the PYP. This will be an initial 18 month contract to initially cover maternity leave for the 2015-16 school year and will then continue for the full 2016-17 school year.
NIST is an inclusive school which enrols students including those with mild to moderate learning needs. The Learning Support Specialist provides support in specialised learning, teaching, and evaluation services to the school’s students and faculty. He or she receives and processes referrals from teachers and works in a variety of support, co-teaching and consultancy roles. The role includes the following specific aspects:
Testing and assessment
- Provides appropriate assessment and evaluation to students in order to determine individual learning needs.
Teacher Support and Consultation
- Consults with teachers in identifying student learning problems
- Recommends teaching techniques and approaches which will assist individual teachers in working with students who have special learning needs
- Attends and participates in case study meetings
- Attends and participates in student support meetings
- Participates in parent/teacher conferences when appropriate
- Acts as case manager for students on caseload
- Liaises with relevant members of the elementary leadership team
Support for Individual Students
- Liaises with the classroom teachers and parents to determine appropriate programme for individual students, and assists further in one or more of the following ways:
- Consults with teacher and helps with the modification of materials for in-class work
- Provides in-class support
- Provides direct teaching to individuals and/or small groups
- Consults with parents as appropriate
- Maintains assisted student confidential records to support individual student learning
- Designs and implements changes in the learning support provided in consultation with administration and teaching staff.
The school has a focus on achievement for all students in the broadest sense and a collaborative and inquiry-based approach is an expected feature in classrooms and also as a part of a team. Contribution to the wider life and activities of the school is important to us, as are an open mind and a commitment to professional learning.