The Manuel L. Quezon University is founded on the principle of Know Thyself. On its logo is emblazoned the words Pro Patria et Jure: For Country and Law. It owes its existence to the idealism of the seven men, who envisioned an institution that would provide ambitious but financially disadvantaged young people with the education and professional training needed to get ahead in life. The seven men are seen below. It was founded in 1947 by several prominent justices and lawyers who saw the need for a quality educational institution catering to the less privileged.
They wanted to develop a school that is:
They were inspired by the following words of the great Manuel Luis Quezon, former President of the Philippine Commonwealth:
The vision was realized on November 1, 1947 when eighteen professors from the school where Dr. Monzon served as Dean joined him in an old building at the corner of Mendiola and Legarda Streets to begin training 643 students for the law profession. Thus was born the MLQU School of Law.
The fledging school produced its first batch of graduates the following year and in the Bar Examinations given in that same year, the school registered a passing average of 97.5%. In 1949, it exceeded its first record with a passing average of 100% with three of its graduates making it to the Top Ten.
The law school soon found it necessary to transfer to a new site on R. Hidalgo St. where other academic units were organized beginning with the School of Arts and Sciences followed by the School of Education, Commerce and Business Administration, Engineering, Architecture and Graduate Studies. With the addition of these units, the Law school became the Manuel L. Quezon Educational Institution. In 1958, the institution acquired University status.
Subsequently the Schools of Criminology, Architecture and Secretarial Education were separated from the School of Arts and Sciences, Engineering and Commerce and Business Administration, respectively. The School of Information Technology is the latest addition to the University community.
The Manuel L. Quezon University has three campuses, namely, the Administration Building and the Monzon Hall both at R. Hidalgo St. and the Arlegui Compound at Arlegui St.. Just recently, the Research Center was built adjacent to the Monzon Hall and which was named after Justice Arsenio P. Dizon.
The MLQU is accessible from all parts of Metro Manila and suburbs by quick and easy means of transportation. It is near the famous Quiapo Church where practically all transportation lines cross.