English Teacher Paid Internship
2 Weeks TEFL Training and Paid Internship
SEE TEFL’s standard 4-week 120-hour TEFL Course is now in its tenth year, with 900+ successful graduates. Beginning in 2013, SEE TEFL offers a Teacher Training and Paid Internship opportunity twice per year, coinciding with the start of the two Thai school semesters.
The SEE TEFL Internship Program is an ideal way for people who wish to experience the realThailand as a paid English language teacher but who are not ready to commit to a 4-week training course and a teaching commitment longer than 5 months. The Internship involves pre-arrival classroom familiarization training, 2 weeks face-to-face classroom skills and cultural awareness induction training in Chiang Mai, and then a paid 1-semester (4-5 months) teaching job in a rural or provincial Thai formal school.
Teaching Essentials and English Teacher Internship
Our TEFL Internship induction training in Chiang Mai will equip you with the essentials (a two-week training course) you’ll need before you step into the classroom: classroom management techniques, a simple common-sense teaching methodology, language awareness, cultural considerations, some Thai language and bags of confidence.
Each TEFL Internship participant receives a guaranteed job with a salary of not less than 25,000 baht per month. This provides a very comfortable life style in Thailand. It’s possible to save enough money from this salary during the internship period to afford at the end of the teaching placement a few months traveling Thailand and SE Asia and/or sitting on a beach under a palm tree.
The academic year in Thailand runs from early May to late March. Our teacher placement and the two induction training sessions coincide with the start of the two academic semesters in early May (First Semester) and late October (Second Semester) each academic school year. Induction sessions take place for two weeks in culturally-rich Chiang Mai, as well as close to the beach on Samui Island in the gulf of Thailand, during March/April and September/October.
Thai Holidays and Teacher Training Essentials
Our March/April intake shares in the excitement and water fight madness of the 5-day Songkran holiday celebrated to mark the start of the Thai New Year. September/October’s induction finishes approximately a month before Loy Krathong / Yi Peng, the 3-night festival of floating lights. The internship fee includes comfortable resort accommodation during the 2-week induction period in Chiang Mai.
The Real Thailand Awaits
The real Thailand can only be visited by straying from the beaten path. After induction training finishes, you’ll have one or two weeks to relax and travel before you need to make your way to your teaching placement. You’ll have plenty of support from our staff who will advise on transport and accommodation.
Teaching placements are always in formal schools in towns far from tourist crowds. In fact, it’s highly likely you won’t meet a tourist during your placement. There will be other foreigners in the internship placement town, but these are likely to be other teachers, adventurous travelers or expats. However, when the urge for a burger or pizza grows strong, large cities with McDonalds and Pizza Hut are never more than a few hours away by local bus.
SEE TEFL and TEFL Internships
Why should you choose SEE for your TEFL Internship? During the last nine years, with 2015 being our 10th, we have trained over 800 people like you to teach English as a second language. We believe we are good at what we do. Google SEE TEFL for blogs and reviews written by previous participants of our programs to discover that previous participants feel the same. Also, take a look at the SEE TEFL YouTube channel and SEE TEFL Facebook Page. Then take some time to consider this life-changing opportunity.
TEFL Internship Eligibility Requirements
Teaching placements are normally for 1 semester of 4–5 months. However, placements that start at the beginning of the academic year (Semester 1) have the option of extending their placement to 1 academic year for no additional charge.
Requirements for Participants of the TEFL Internship
- Be physically and mentally fit.
- Be adaptable and flexible.
- Be a university graduate and hold a recognized bachelor’s degree.
- Be no older than 50 and no younger than 21.
- Be an English native speaker (UK, USA, Canada, Australia, Ireland and New Zealand passport holder).
It’s not necessary to possess previous teaching experience or to know any Thai language. Induction training will equip you with teaching and Thai basics. This training will give you the ability to make a confident and successful start to your teaching experience.
Placements are in formal Thai schools. Opportunities exist to teach in kindergarten (anubahn), primary school (pratom), secondary school (matayom) and colleges working Monday to Friday from around 7:30am to 4:00pm each day. A working week normally involves 18 – 22 teaching periods of between 50 and 60 minutes.
Interns will receive full SEE TEFL Certification if they submit 3 lesson plans with teaching materials plus a 2,000 word essay reflecting on their teaching experience to SEE TEFL at the conclusion of their 1 semester teaching placement period.
TEFL Internship Fees and Dates
The standard fee for the complete program is $1,295 USD (approximately equal to 800 British Pounds). Payment is made in two parts:
- $495 USD deposit payment which reserves the place on the program
- $800 USD balance payment, which is due at the end of the first day of the program
Note that payment includes 15 nights resort accommodation during the induction period inChiang Mai.
Some participants may want to consider various ideas for raising funds to cover the cost of the SEE TEFL Internship
Dates and Availability
2015 and 2016 Chiang Mai TEFL Internship Dates
- 18 – 29 April, 2016 – Seats Available
- 28 September – 09 October, 2015 – Full
- 26 September – 07 October, 2016 – Seats Available
Teacher Training and Teaching Internship Details
TEFL Teacher Training Components
There are two training components:
- Pre-arrival: Videos and assignments that introduce classroom management skills and review common grammar terminology.
- Post-arrival: 2 weeks of face-to-face group training that focuses on developing essential EFL classroom teaching skills and language awareness. In addition, there is basic Thai language instruction, cultural awareness training and excursions.
TEFL Salary – Paid Internship
Interns are paid at least 25,000 Thai baht per month during the placement period. Thailand has low living costs, so this salary provides a comfortable lifestyle while teaching in Thailand.
This internship is actual employment by a school in Thailand. Interns must be employed by a school in order to obtain non-imm B visas and work permits. There is normally no extra charge for work permits and visa extensions.
Inclusive Resort-style Accommodation
Chiang Mai Accommodation
Resort accommodation at the Eco Resort Chiang Mai, Bumrungrad Road with breakfast and swimming pool is included in the Internship fee for 15 nights during post-arrival training in Chiang Mai. Eco rooms are shared with other same-sex Interns. Single-occupancy can be arranged for an additional fee of $100. The resort is a 5-minute walk from the SEE training center.
After training and during placement periods, Interns are responsible for the cost of their own accommodation. Placement schools will introduce their Interns to a range of accommodation options after arrival. Comfortable 1-bedroom apartments only cost between 2,500 and 4,500 Thai baht per month. This will usually include air-conditioning, a double bed and a separate bathroom. Thai apartments rarely have kitchen areas as most Thais eat out as eating food at restaurants or takeaway from markets is very inexpensive.
Eco Resort Chiang Mai – Bumrungrad Road
- Budget flights to Thailand are available through Kayak and Orbitz and travel affordable travel in the region can be found on Bangkok Airlines and Air Asia.
- Fixed-rate taxis cost between 150-200 Thai Baht (around 5-8 USD) from Chiang Mai airport to the resort accommodation and are available 24 hours each day.
- Traveling around Thailand by bus, train or plane is inexpensive and convenient. We will advise on transport between Chiang Mai and the placement school. Representatives of the placement school will meet Interns on arrival to transport them to their accommodation and school.
Extra Costs and Budgeting
It is recommended that Interns budget $25 USD per day (800 THB) to cover living expenses during the time between completing training and their first salary payment. This period will range between 5 and 8 weeks, as salaries are usually paid at the end of the working month.
Thai Visa Support for Training and Internship
SEE TEFL will provide paperwork to support 3-month single-entry non-immigrant B (Business) visa applications. It is usually most convenient to do this in your home country before departure. However, this visa can also be obtained from the Thai embassy in Vientiane, Laos during the period after training and before placement. Placement schools are responsible for obtaining work permits and extending visas to cover the placement period.
Choosing Between a 4-Week TEFL and the TEFL Internship
The majority of TEFL teacher trainees will select the traditional 4-Week TEFL course. However, this unique TEFL Internship will appeal to some of our future English teachers.
Standard 4-week TEFL certification
- Offered nearly every month in Chiang Mai
- Work anywhere in Thailand, SE Asia or the world
- Choose the type of school, location and age group
- Comprehensive training
- Experience during training 6 observed teaching practices in real schools with a range of real students
- Fulfills a general employment requirement for TEFL teaching jobs around the world
- Offered twice per year (Apr/Oct), before the start of the Thai school semesters
- Guaranteed job
- Cannot choose the type of school, location and age group; internship locations depend upon availability when training finishes; however, we will endeavor to meet our Intern’s preferences
- Experience the real Thailand
- Get paid a minimum of 25,000 Thai baht per month
- 4-5 month commitment
- Inclusive training with resort accommodation
Transportation to and around Thailand